Wednesday, June 7, 2017

In Loving Memory of Brinnon

Brinnon was humanly euthanized on Monday June 5 at Gulf World Marine Park in Panama City Beach, Florida. She was estimated to be in her mid-30s, a ripe old age for a Bottlenose Dolphin. But Brinnon was far more than just a dolphin: she was a fighter.













For many years, she worked with the US Navy Marine Mammal Program, before she retired and was given a forever home at Gulf World. In 2010 she was first diagnosed with Cancer. She fought and beat Cancer for seven years before it finally caught up with her. That's impressive for a human, but for a dolphin, that is frankly unheard of.













Brinnon was a very special dolphin to me. She is one of three dolphins I have had the great privilege to swim with over the years, but she is the most memorable and by far the most special. I visited Gulf World in the Summer of 2008 as an 8-year old child in love with marine life. I also had a passion for aviation, and the Navy in particular. So when I first went to Gulf World and learned of Brinnon's Navy connections, I thought it was the coolest thing in the whole world. 

Chance would have it that the day my father and I were signed up to participate in the Dolphin Swim Program, Brinnon was the animal participating in our session. I vividly remember being overcome with excitement, getting the chance to interact with her one-on-one. It was all the more special because I already had a connection with her even before I got in the water.

But getting to do a dorsal tow around the front pool with Brinnon was one of, if not the most influential things I have done in my life (aside from Tilikum and the profound impact he had on my life as well). I had been to SeaWorld many times before my visit, which had laid the foundation for this remarkable encounter. But the magical combination of Brinnon's Navy past and the fact that I got to swim with her, has forever left an impact on me. 
Me with Brinnon, Circa 2008


















I'm not sure how much you can remember from when you were eight years old, but I don't remember a lot of specific details. But when I look back at 2008, three things have suck with me: moving houses, the fact my sister didn't go on vacation with me, and Brinnon. Even nine years later (over half my life), I still remember Brinnon. She was that special. Swim in peace, baby girl.

Thanks for checking out Journeying On! Stay connected with us via our social medias:

No comments:

Post a Comment