Saturday, January 7, 2017

In Loving Memory of Tilikum

Tilikum During One Ocean in 2015.














Tilikum, to me means a whole lot more than just "a whale." He is a lot more than just the infamous whale that killed "that girl/trainer" from Blackfish. For me, Tilikum is where it all started. He is the physical embodiment of not only my childhood, but my love of SeaWorld. When I would show people pictures from SeaWorld, I would always get a little more excited when I would show one of him. His massive size, his floppy dorsal fin, all of fin was so iconic to me. I was fortunate to be able to see Tilly during him "prime," and those are memories I cherish.

Tilikum during Dine With Shamu in 2009.













I remember my first visit to SeaWorld in 2003, and subsequent visits in 2004, 2005, and so on, and every time that Tilikum would come out at the end of the Shamu Adventure, or Shamu Rocks America, I would get extra excited. In an era where one could possibly make the argument that the shows were more geared towards entertainment, with the phenomenal miracle that was waterworks, I was always inspired and moved by Tilikum more than by anything else. 

Tilikum during the Shamu Adventure in 2003.
Dawn Brancheau is the trainer in the middle.















I remember vividly making my dad sit up in the "dry zone" (the upper section of Shamu Stadium) because I didn't want to get splashed by Tilly. I knew how amazing his power and strength was, and as a result, knew of his amazing splashing abilities. My sister, on the other hand, was a little more brave, and tried to sit in the direct line of fire. I remember very specifically meeting up with her after a performance of Shamu Rocks America, and her being absolutely drenched, with the biggest smile on her face. Tilikum played a huge role in both of our lives. 


















Summer of 2009 was my last visit to the "old SeaWorld." I remember doing Dine With Shamu back in the days where the tables were 2 feet closer to the edge of the pool, and only a rope separated you from the whales, instead of thick panes of glass. That training session that night was one of the most defining moments of my young life. I think the pictures of me below kinda capture that. 

Me and Tilikum in 2003
















No glass, just rope. It was amazing.


















We all know what happened on that dark day in February of 2010, and the next time I saw Tilikum perform an entire show segment wasn't until July 17, 2015, and let me tell you, I was screaming with excitement.

Tilikum during One Ocean in 2015, the first
show I'd seen him in since 2009.



















And for a while, Tilikum was back doing his thing, business as usual. But in March of 2016, it was announced that Tilly had been diagnosed with a bacterial lung infection, and as a result, stopped performing in shows. Over the next few months, his health kind of went up and down. Suddenly, his health improved, and on July 2, 2016 I got the surprise of a lifetime. In just his second day back performing, Tilikum and his daughter Malia performed in the "Splash" segment of the noon One Ocean, and he did amazing. He even did a few bows, which were as high as I've ever seen him do before.

Tilikum presents during One Ocean on just his second day
back performing. (Summer 2016)

















Tilikum & Malia perform a bow around during
One Ocean in Summer 2016



















It was also on that trip that my sister talked me into sitting, not only in the soak zone, but directly in the "line of fire" of Tilikum, should he perform. And sure enough, My big boy, accompanied by his daughter drenched us. But it was one of the most amazing experiences of my life, and my crowning achievement as a SeaWorld fanatic.

Tilikum & Malia present. Taken from the first row behind
the slideout. (Summer 2016)















I last saw Tilikum last on December 30, 2016. I have a couple pictures of him in the med pool, but I don't wish to share them, because that's not how I want to remember Tilikum. I wish to remember him as seen in these pictures: happy, healthy, and doing the things he loved most, surrounded by those who loved him the most.

Tilikum's massive side fluke splashing during the Shamu
Adventure in 2003.












Throughout his 25 years he spend at SeaWorld, Tilikum was almost never alone. Through the first 15-20 years, Tilly was almost inseparable from Taima, but sadly she died in 2010 due to complications from a stillborn calf. Following her death, Tilikum was almost always accompanied by his grandson Trua or his daughter Malia, or both! It is true that he had to be kept separate from the two dominant females of the Orlando pod, Katina & Kayla, but that was because Tilly was always a very gentle and submissive whale, while Katina and Kayla are very dominant femals (Killer Whale societies are, after all, matriarchal).

Malia & Tilikum "wind up" for a fluke splash during One
Ocean in  summer 2016. 















But Tilikum lived a rich and stimulating life nonetheless. Shows and fish are just a small part of the everyday life for a whale at SeaWorld. He would participate in sessions such as an exercise session, with lots of bows and breaches, or a play session with lots of toys and treats. Relationship sessions with trainers and husbandry sessions were all essential parts of  his everyday life.

Tilikum & Trua during an exercise session in 2015.














While the world may believe Tilikum's lasting legacy to be the whale "involved" with 3 deaths, and the focus of the "documentary" Blackfish, that is never how I remember him. I will remember Tilikum as one of the sweetest whales ever. As the whale who forever changed my life, and inspired me to care not only about whales or animals in general, but about our world. Through Tilikum (and SeaWorld), I have become a conservationist and an environmentalist. I have fallen in love with so many amazing animals over the years, but none have ever touched my heart in such a way as Tilikum has. The world won't be the same without you. Rest easy, big man.

___________________________________________________________________

To learn more about Tilikum and his life, I strongly recommend the following:
This Awesome Ocean article, this SeaWorld Cares blog post, and this brilliant video about the story of Tilikum.

No comments:

Post a Comment