Saturday, July 16, 2016

Dine With Shamu 2016 Review (SeaWorld Orlando)

I recently did Dine With Shamu during my most recent visit to SeaWorld Orlando. It was probably my fifth or sixth time experiencing DWS, but this time was special.  In years past, you watched the training session from your poolside table, though your angle depended on your table location. The whales were not guaranteed to breach, bow, or otherwise be near you, and the glass barrier between you and the pool never made it feel like you were that close to the whales. You were not allowed to stand during the training session, and the glass and the support beams often interfered with your ability to get good pictures.

Katina bows during my Dine With Shamu in 2015
















This year, however, the format has changed. Instead of being confined to your table during the training session, you are now given the freedom to stand basically at the edge of the pool, near the gate that separates G Pool (aka the Dine With Shamu pool) from F Pool (med pool). Yes, of course there is still a glass barrier, but while standing, it only comes up to about chest-high, so it does not interfere with your vision of the pool or the whales.








During my particular Dine With Shamu, the trainers were conducting an exercise session with the whales, pointing the whales in from C Pool (the back pool on the left side of the stadium when facing the stage). The three whales taking part in the session were Katina, Makaio and Nalani, and the trainers were asking the whales to perform two bows, one at each end of G Pool. (Trainer) Nick was right in front of me at the edge of the pool with a target poll, so I knew I was in a good position: and boy was I!
















Towards the end of the session, (trainer) Kayla was working with Nalani right in front of me. Nalani is one of my favorite whales, so naturally, I was ecstatic to get the opportunity to be about two feet away from her! Kayla was asking Nalani for some basic behaviors, and then pointed her towards the slideout. I was, of course, like any SeaWorld fanatic would, cooing at Nalani and letting her know what a good job she was doing. What was truly amazing was that Nalani hesitated to look at me for just a split second before joining Kayla on the slideout. It was a truly amazing moment, and was worth the price of admission and then some!


Kayla reinforces Nalani 














Nalani stops to look at me
















Overall I am thrilled with the recent changes to Dine With Shamu, especially as a return customer, and a future-return-customer as well! While the food may not be 5-star caliber (it is still plenty good, especially the brownies), you don't come for the culinary experience: you come for the whales.
















Thank for checking out Journeying On! Stay connected with us via our social medias:

1 comment: